Monday, May 14, 2018

Painting - Night Swimming


OK So I've finished a new painting.  Well technically I'm going to be doing touch-ups on it tonight, so there's a little more to do, but I'd say it's 99% done.

I call it night swimming for two reasons.  The quicker simpler reason is because to me it feels like that little white splotch is standing at the end of the H dock at Fatima looking out over Upper Suncook.



But the other more pertinent reason is that it represents to me a recurring nightmare I've had since I was 6 years old of trying to cross a large body of water filled with alligators that ultimately swallow me up as I try to cross it.  Either by slipping on a stone or mistaking one for a tree log, or whatever.  It doesn't matter how.  They always get me in the end.

Once I decided that this would be the subject matter I decided to use a color pallet that was very inspired by the Italian horror movie style known as Giallo, most popularly represented by the director Dario Argento's work.



Anyway I think I'm prouder of this painting than any I've done before this one, which is why I'm posting it now before it's even technically done.  Hope you all like it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment